Eyes For Wellness is the second tier of your visual care. Your primary care optometrist or ophthalmologist has evaluated your ocular health and routine refractive (optical) status. However, the area of visual motor skills and visual information processing skills are areas that specialists like Dr. VanHoy address through an extensive battery of neuro-optometric tests.
She will confirm that your ocular health is intact as well as re-measure your refractive status, but the primary emphasis of her testing will be on prescribing lenses that provide either therapeutic value or stress-relieving value rather than compensatory lenses that are prescribed in a routine visual examination. Your lenses may include a bifocal to relieve visual stress or vertical yoked prisms to help with eye teaming. Or, you may receive two separate prescriptions to address your specific visual requirements. Most often, these lenses are a part of the therapy program that will be prescribed for you along with actual neuro-optometric rehabilitation visits.
Because Eyes For Wellness is a second tier practice specializing in neuro-optometric evaluations and rehabilitation, our office does not provide any eyewear or contact lenses. However, if you do not have a primary care optometrist or ophthalmologist, Dr. VanHoy will gladly refer you to a trusted colleague to have your new lens prescription filled. This colleague will adhere to the same high standards that Dr. VanHoy requires of all lens prescriptions she writes. Often, these providers are participants with your health care insurance for the optical materials.
Your Neuro-Optometric Evaluation Will Include:
- Visual Acuities at Distance AND Near (where most of learning occur in the early years and where adults spend so much of their time, especially with computers)
- Eye Teaming Skills Including Depth Perception and Range of Fusion
- Eye Focusing Skills Including Amplitude and Flexibility of Focusing Skills
- Eye Movement Skills
- Functional Visual Field Study (to rule out non-pathological “tunnel” vision)
- Synchronization of Your Brain’s Dorsal and Ventral Stream Activity for Reading Efficiency and Visual Processing Efficiency
- Eye Movement Efficiency For Reading
- Visual Information Processing Skills for Visualization, Visual Memory, Visual Sequential Memory, Laterality/Directionality Skills
- Eye/Hand Coordination Skills
- Retained Primitive Reflexes (which when not fully integrated contribute to inattention, poor coordination, inability to remain seated comfortably, and more)
- Spatial Projection Based Upon Eye Teaming Skills
- Dyslexia Screening To Determine Eidetic and Phonetic Skills
- Tests for Amblyopia (Lazy Eye)
- Tests for Strabismus (Misaligned Eyes)
- Tests for Post Trauma Vision Syndrome
- Tests to Determine Your Qualifications for Non-Invasive Visual Acuity Improvements for Military or Occupational Requirements
- Color Vision
- Ocular Health
- Refractive Status for Distance AND Near (for Optimum Lens Rx for Visual Function Rather Than Solely Visual Acuity)
- Plus Any Additional Tests Relevant To Your Individual Needs